We are happy to announce that Mickelson will release his new album, “Known To Be Unknown ”. Bay Area artist and producer Scott Mickelson’s debut record Flickering landed on the Grammy ballot in two categories, Best Folk Album and Best Roots Music Performance. His latest release Known to Be Unknown will be released on April 15th, 2022. You can pre-order and download the CD via Bandcamp.
Notably is the opening track UNarmed American which deals with the epidemic of gun violence and the lack of political will to ﬁx it. “I knew other folks shared my view so I invited ten other local artists to add their voices. I was really happy with the track and I decided to also make a video.” Mickelson explains,
Known To Be Unknown also includes an instrumental called Chicago Transit Authority. Mickelson explains, “I said to my daughter that I think my new record is done. She asked which song had horns on it and I realized there weren’t any. All of my records include horns. I love working with horn players, so I wrote it. The title is a nod to the ﬁrst album by the band Chicago which is a classic. This is also the ﬁrst time I wrote the horn arrangements with actual charts.” Regarding the album cover, Mickelson says, “Sometimes my lyrics kick up a hornet’s nest.” As far as the album title goes, “I’ve been recording my songs since the 1970s. I’ve never had a big hit but I just keep going. Looks like I’m gonna die trying.” Here are some early bird reviews from the Netherlands.
- Written In Music “An indescribable title by a fatalistic musician from California. Passionate harmonica licks, rock riffs, and a muscular combination of guitar and organ show us a combative go-getter..”
- MoorsMagazine “The most remarkable song is UNarmed American, which opens the album, and for which he invited ten local artists who agreed with him about the reluctance of politics to tackle the gun problem, to sing along. He ends the album with an almost even more impressive acoustic version of the same song, and in between, I have listened to some nice songs, beautiful arrangements, often against hard rock.”
To support the release, Mickelson will be touring the UK in July 2022 and will be part of the line-up of the prestigious Maverick Festival in Woodbridge. We are also now booking a band tour in the Benelux and Germany. We are open to ideas and live appearances and opportunities between September 25th and October 1st, 2022.
- Saturday, September 24, 2022 | Schmölln | MusicClub Schmölln | DE
- Sunday, September 25, 2022 | Berlin | Hafenbar Tegel | DE
- Monday, September 26, 2022, OPEN
- Tuesday, September 27, 2022, OPEN
- Wednesday, September 28, 2022, OPEN
- Thursday, September 29, 2022, OPEN
- Friday, September 30, 2022, OPEN
- Saturday, October 01, 2022 | Wermelskirchen | Haus Eifgen | DE
- Sunday, October 02, 2022, | Son en Breugel | Lazy Sonnie Afternoon | NL
- Monday, October 03, 2022, | Amsterdam | Zaal Hall 100 | NL